“Those” in verse 11 refers back to the prophets in verse 10.
- What does it mean to be blessed?
- Why do we count prophets as blessed who endured?
- What have you seen someone endure that made you see them as blessed?
5 U.S. Code § 3331.Oath of office:
An individual, except the President, elected or appointed to an office of honor or profit in the civil service or uniformed services, shall take the following oath: “I, AB, do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter. So help me God.”
Read Matthew 5:33-37
- Is it wrong for a Christian to state this oath? Why or why not?
- If this is not prohibited by God, what kind of oath is God prohibiting?
- What should be our response to suffering?
- What should be our expression of cheer?
- What should be our action when we are sick?
- How are sins related to sickness?
- If sin is related to sickness, then is confessing appropriate to healing?
- How is confessing connected to praying for each other?
- In what context is effective prayer mentioned? (verse 16a)
Read 1 Kings 17:1; 18:1; 18:36-39
- What made Elijah’s prayers effective?
- How do we turn someone back to the truth? What should we not do?